The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) stands at the forefront of a profession that plans, designs, constructs, and operates society’s economic and social engine—the built environment. ASCE embraces that responsibility by serving its members, the civil engineering profession, and the public.
With more than 145,000 members in all civil engineering disciplines, across all public, private, and educational sectors, and at all points of their career paths, ASCE:
- Advances civil engineering technology;
- Provides the tools for lifelong learning and career growth;
- Promotes the profession and influences public policy;
- Develops and supports civil engineer leaders; and
- Advocates infrastructure and environmental stewardship.
Through the expertise of its active membership and staff, ASCE is the world’s largest publisher of civil engineering content in the world, a leading provider of technical and professional conferences and continuing education, and a frontrunner in developing codes and standards that protect the public. The Society serves ASCE members’ technical specialties through membership in one of 8 dynamic Institutes.
Three key strategic initiatives highlight ASCE’s leadership role:
- Infrastructure —Raise the grades on America’s infrastructure
- Sustainability —Achieve a more sustainable natural and built environment
- Raise the Bar —Increase the educational requirements for future entry into professional engineering practice
“ASCE Roundup: The Civil Engineering Blog & News Network” embodies the variety and significance of ASCE’s initiatives, highlighting news of the Society, providing leadership perspectives, promoting the profession, and exploring career growth. Through engagement in the great issues of the day, ASCE members prepare themselves to fulfill a common vision: Civil engineers as global leaders building a better quality of life.